Hey there; I hope December is treating you very well. There’s a lot to look forward to this month and if you missed the maiden edition of The Lagos Street Party (TLSP), there’s still a lot of fun to be had. I was at the Lagos House, Ikeja on Thursday, 11th December, 2016 for the press briefing on One Lagos Fiesta 2016. I am one of the social media partners and as such will be posting updates about it on my social media pages. We were addressed first by Mr Steve Ayorinde, the Honourable Commissioner for Information, Lagos State who gave an overview of the programme and subsequently by Hon. Adebimpe Akinsola, Special Adviser to the Governor on Arts & Culture/Acting Commissioner for Tourism, Arts & Culture and Mr. Obafela Bank-Olemoh, Special Adviser to the Governor on Education, the Co-chairs of the One Lagos Fiesta Committee.
One Lagos Fiesta (OLF) is a celebration of Nigerian music, arts and culture involving a series of concerts which take place at 5 locations in Lagos State simultaneously. It is one of the major events that the Lagos State Government has put together to promote tourism in the state. The second edition is here and promises to be ‘better and bolder’. Hon. Adebimpe Akinsola stated that the safety and security of Lagosians is a priority and that adequate measures have been taken to ensure the security of lives and property throughout the event. She said that arrangements have also been made for traffic management, sanitation, health and safety concerns. The sponsors for OLF 2016 include Nigerian Breweries Plc and Globacom Ltd.
This is what Lagosians should be looking forward to;
- 8 days of music spanning several genres such as Hip Hop, Raggae, R&B, Gospel, Fuji, Juju, Oldies and more.
- Great food, Comedy, traditional and cultural performances depicting the multicultural diversity of Lagos State.
- A strong infusion of the culture of each location
- A more inclusive and fun-filled children’s corner for all age brackets. Kids will only be participating from the 25th to 30th of December, 2016
- Indoor games for all age groups
- Lagos Got Talent (competitive open-mic for discovery of talents in music, comedy and dance)- interested participants can register online at www.onelagosfiesta.ng or at one of the five zonal offices which are;
- Multipurpose hall of Eko FM, Agidingbi Ikeja,
- Divisional Information Office, Lugard’s House along the Badagry Marina,
- Divisional Information Office, Ikorodu, 1, Oriwu Street, Ita Elewa,
- City Hall, Lagos Island
- Divisional Information Office, Epe, Chalet Road, beside Lagos High Court, Oke-Oyinbo, Epe.
Registration closes on Wednesday, 14th December, 2016 and those who make it through the auditions will get to perform between the 24th and 30th of December, 2016 at any of the venues. Two finalists from each zone will battle it out at Victoria Island on the 31st of December. The grand prize has not been revealed yet.
The five venues for the concerts remain the same and entrance is free;
- Agege Stadium, Agege
- Badagry Stadium, Badagry
- Ikorodu Town Hall, Ikorodu
- Bar Beach, Victoria Island
- Epe Recreation Centre, Epe
As an introduction to some of what will be enjoyed during the fiesta, we were treated to beautiful traditional music and dance by the dance troupe of the Lagos State Council for Arts & Culture. Of course, I did a lot of dancing..
Follow my pages on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook for updates about OLF 2016, you may win something (think VIP tickets). You may also visit www.onelagosfiesta.ng and the OLF social media pages for updates.